Sunday, July 24, 2011

Toast the Day

I sit alone in thought, with my chalice filled. Pictures flashing through my head, past, present and future tense. Today was a good day, just like so many before it. So often I think "it is what it is" and it is what I alone make of it. It's been a ritual for decades. Like clockwork, precision gears so carefully made. I am a creature of habit and ritual. Every night I must toast the day to signify it's end, and renew my mind for the challenges tomorrow will bring. I will rest with a joyous soul tonight, for the last words I heard were "good night daddy" followed by hugs and kisses.

Here is a toast to you innocent soul, untouched by the corruption and cynicism this life will bring. To you, weary travlers on the paths you have chosen. To dear friends I have met and will meet along the way. I especially want to toast those friends who got lost along the way. Weather by choice or not, our paths will cross again someday. A great writer once said "Not all who wander are lost" and in that saying, I truly believe.  To tomorrow, I can't wait!

1 comment: